Booklet for Hemato-Oncologists
Case 6 (A) - Chickenpox during aplasia in T-ALL
Child, 3 years old, male, affected by T-ALL. In Induction phase, in aplasia (ANC < 500/mm³), he developed varicella (fever, skin lesions).
A - What do you suggest?
1. Discontinue antileukemic therapy and start with acyclovir 3 x 10 (-15) mg/kg. i.v. + Varicella-Zoster Immune globulin (VZIG)
2. Continue chemotherapy (because of the induction phase), but start antivaricella therapy as described above
3. Discontinue chemotherapy and start only with acyclovir
4. Discontinue chemotherapy, start with acyclovir and VZIG + i.v. broad spectrum antibiotics
5. Discontinue chemotherapy and adminsiter only VZIG
» List of cases